- Family Holiday, S Daly, Phenomena, Short story
- Question (a): the first event would be the “flimsy bridge” and the second event would be the underwater ledge that “drops away pretty sharply”.
- Question (b): Onomatopaeia= “crashed”
- the writer uses this verbal feature to portray a negative feeling or a feeling that the sea is a dangerous ‘being’. this same feeling also relates to the rest of her holiday in the way that she also holds a fear/danger, and possibly a sense of dislike in the family holiday that she is participating in.
Identify 2 language features develop the narrator’s feelings about the holiday. give an example of each
– Personification: “the waves crashed down and sucked everything away, even the sand.” She feels like this holiday is ‘sucking everything away’ or that it is sucking her holiday time away.
– Emotive language: “away from the ragged edge…” she feels the danger of the moment.
discuss how your chosen language features along with others in the text develop an emotional theme for the chosen family.
– both of these language features work together to create the feeling of danger and the loss of her holiday.